Building Tomorrow's Risk Management & Insurance Leaders
Since 1988, the Brantley Risk & Insurance Center, a privately funded entity, has supported the insurance program in the Walker College of Business by increasing the level of student involvement with the insurance industry, largely through the activities of Gamma Iota Sigma. The center supports the teaching function for the insurance major, supports and encourages research on insurance topics, and provides a vehicle for on-going interaction with the insurance industry through continuing education programs, executive-in-residence appointments, internships and placement of graduates in the industry.
The RMI major at App State prepares students for a wide variety of professions within the greater risk and insurance field including: General Management, Underwriting, Claims, Agency Sales & Operations, Brokerage, Surplus Lines, Employee Benefits along with Risk Management and Reinsurance specialties.
Appalachian RMI Program and
Brantley Risk & Insurance Center Points of Pride
- Global Center of Insurance Excellence Designation (Received May 2017)
- Top 10 RMI program in the US (Business Insurance magazine rankings)
- AppState RMI program named a “Strong Performer” in A.M. Best magazine (February 2018)
- 1200+ RMI graduates from AppState in the last 30 years
- 234 RMI majors in 2018-19 academic year, increase from 135 majors in 2012-13
- Inclusive Excellence and Women in Financial Services student recruitment and retention initiatives
- Study abroad opportunities in London & Bermuda for International Insurance Markets class students
- Spring 2020 RMI Career Fair on March 19 & Friday interview day for interns and full-time positions
- Majority of RMI majors complete an industry internship prior to graduation
The IIANC & Appalachian State University
The Big I continues their role today as the "Founding Strategic Partner" for the Brantley Risk & Insurance Center, as well as the Appalachian State University Risk Management & Insurance academic program.
Thanks to the annual unwavering support of the Big I and their members, along with the IIANC Education Foundation, the AppState RMI program continues as the flagship program in the UNC System.
On October 18, 1988, the Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina, Inc., its association and membership honored Mr. Richard S. Brantley for his 36 years of unselfish and devoted leadership by establishing the Richard S. Brantley Risk and Insurance Center.
Dick Brantley was a cornerstone of the North Carolina Insurance industry for over forty years, including a 36-year career with the Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina and service with the North Carolina Department of Insurance as Chief Deputy Commissioner.
He joined the North Carolina Association of Insurance Agents as Assistant Secretary in 1952 and was named Executive Vice President in 1960, a post he held until September 1988. During his career with the IIANC, he received three citations for exceptional achievements. Brantley attended Mars Hill College and North Carolina State University and built an admirable career in the United States Air Corps. A decorated World War II hero, he piloted 35 missions over France and Germany and later became a Retired Reserve Captain.
During much of the same time, Brantley was furthering his college career. He graduated from the business school at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, did graduate work in math and statistics, and taught economic statistics for two years at the university.